Tips for driving in the rain
Driving safely on wet roads
Slow down. If more drivers followed this tip in the rain, accidents would dramatically decrease. Wet weather doesn’t receive the same attention as winter weather driving, but it should. Wet roads present similar dangers-less grip and longer stopping distance, for example.
Here are some tips for driving safely on wet roads:
- Make sure your tires offer the proper amount of tread.
- Drive with two hands. Always.
- Slow down before turning, and maintain a consistent speed throughout the turn.
- While turning, don’t make any sudden steering wheel movements.
- Only brake in a straight line before the turn, and do so gradually. Be careful if you need to brake during the turn.
- Increase your following distance from other cars significantly.
- If hydroplaning, do not accelerate or brake suddenly. Keep your foot lightly on the gas and steer the car forward until your tires regain traction